Roger is a consultant cardiothoracic anaesthetist and Intensivist. He studied medicine at Otago University in New Zealand and completed his specialist training in the UK, New Zealand and Australia.
From 1991 to 2002 he was a consultant at Green Lane Hospital in Auckland, New Zealand practicing both paediatric and adult cardiac anaesthesia and intensive care before moving to Royal Papworth Hospital. In May 2015 he was appointed Medical Director.
Dr Hall was awarded an OBE in the 2021 honours list in recognition of his outstanding commitment to the NHS, in particular during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Cardiothoracic anaesthesia and intensive care.
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery - MB ChB (Otago) 1982
Fellow of the Faculty of Anaesthesia of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - FFARACS 1990
Fellow of the Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists - FANZCA 1992
National Board of Echocardiography (NBE) Accreditation in perioperative TOE 2000
Fellow of Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine - 2011
Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (Ad Eundem) - FRCA 2008
Author: Runnels AT, Valchanov K, Hall R. Echocardiography and ultrasound. In: Klein A, Vuylsteke A, Nashef SAM (Eds) Core Topics in Cardiothoracic Critical Care. Cambridge: University Press. 2008. pp103-7. [ISBN 978-0-521-87283]
Hall RMO. Transoesophageal echocardiography. In: Mackay JH, Arrowsmith JE (Eds) Core Topics in Cardiac Anaesthesia. London: Greenwich Medical Media. 2004. pp129-134. [ISBN 1-841101-33-8]
- Evley R, Russell J, Mathew D, Hall R, Gemmell L, Mahajan RP. Confirming the drugs administered during anaesthesia: a feasibility study in the pilot National Health Service sites, UK. Br J Anaesth 2010 Sep; 105(3): 289-96.
- Klein AA, Snell A, Nashef SAM, Hall RMO, Kneeshaw JD, Arrowsmith JE. The impact of intra-operative transoesophageal echocardiography on cardiac surgical practice. Anaesthesia 2009 Sep; 64(9): 947-952.
- Berman M, Tsui S, Vuylsteke A, Snell A, Colah S, Latimer R, Hall R, Arrowsmith JE, Kneeshaw J, Klein AA, Jenkins DP. Successful extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) support after pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE). Ann Thorac Surg 2008 Jan; 84(4): 1261-1267.
- Cheng DC, Mazer CD, Martineau R, Ralph-Edwards A, Karski J, Robblee J, Finegan B, Hall RI, Latimer R, Vuylsteke A. A phase II dose-response study of hemoglobin raffimer (Hemolink) in elective coronary artery bypass surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004 Jan; 127(1): 79-86.
- Hall R. Mechanical Cardiac Support. Book- Cardiothoracic Critical Care Ed Sidebotham et al ISBN:978-0-7506-7572-7
- Hall R. Adult Congenital Heart Disease- Practical Perioperative Transoesophageal Echocardiography Sidebotham et al ISBN 0 7506 5496 1
- Hallward G, Hall R. Priming solutions for cardiopulmonary bypass circuits. In: Ghosh S, Falter F, Cook DJ (Eds). Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2009. pp36-40.
- Runnels AT, Valchanov K, Hall R. Echocardiography and ultrasound. In: Klein A, Vuylsteke A, Nashef SAM (Eds). Core Topics in Cardiothoracic Critical Care. Cambridge: University Press. 2008. pp103-7.
- Hall RMO. Transoesophageal echocardiography. In: Mackay JH, Arrowsmith JE (Eds). Core Topics in Cardiac Anaesthesia. London: Greenwich Medical Media. 2004. pp129-134.