Stephen Large was appointed to Royal Papworth Hospital in 1989 with a specialist interest in surgery for ventricular tachycardia. His early interest in medical student education led to a Cambridge University appointment as Associate Lecturer in the Department of Medicine and on to become clinical sub-dean for cardiac and thoracic services. He was awarded the diploma of Physician as Educator- RCP by the Royal College of Physicians in 2001 after becoming a fellow five years earlier. He ran the heart transplant service from appointment to the end of 2008 developing the national mechanical heart assist programme in 2001 through his particular interest in the failing human heart.
His research interest lies in this area and his team are pursuing the possibilities of expanding the human donor heart pool through collaboration with the clinical transplant team in Cambridge, Stanford University, California and the Canadian Research Centre in Winnipeg. An additional fascination with management led him to achieve an MBA through the Open University in 2000 and to chair the Cardiac Directorate for five years until 2007. He now represents the speciality on the Interventional Advisory Committee of NICE, the HTA Interventional committee and is lead investigator of HTA observational study ETTAA (5 years from July 2013 value £1.7 million).
Heart failure surgery, upset heart rhythms and reconstruction of abnormalities of the heart and thoracic aorta.
Donor heart function, myocardial energy storage and morbidity scoring as a quality measure in surgery.
To view Mr Large's clinical outcomes, please click on this link. This will take you to the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery website which is not part of the Papworth Hospital website.
1973 - B.Sc.(Lond Hons)
1976 - L.R.C.P, M.R.C.S.
1976 - M.B. B.S.
1980 - M.R.C.P. (U.K.)
1980 - F.R.C.S. (ENG.)
1989 - M.S. (LOND.)
1994 - Associate Lecturer (Cambs)
1996 - Professional Certificate in management (Open university)
1997 - Professional Diploma in management (Open University)
1997 - F.R.C.P.
1998 - M.A.(Cantab)
2000 - Master of Business Administration (Open University)
2000 - University of Cambridge sub-dean
2003- ILTHE membership (26487)
2008 - Physician as Educator RCP
1. Specialist advisor to HTA interventional group
2. Lead and chief investigator of ETTAA, EQUINOCS and RECOVER 1 & 2
3. Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons and of Physicians and European Society of Cardio-thoracic Surgeons
4. Special Advisor to IPAC – NICE. Member of GMC
5. Associate Lecturer University of Cambridge and Sub-Dean
212. Cardiac recovery in a human non-heart-beating donor after extracorporeal perfusion: source for human heart donation? Ali A, White P, Dhital K, Ryan M, Tsui S, Large S. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009 Mar;28(3):290-3.
213. Cardiopulmonary bypass and deep hypothermic circulatory arrest in a massively obese patient. Molnar J, Colah S, Larobina M, Large S, Arrowsmith J, Klein A. Perfusion. 2008 Jul;23(4):243-245.
214. eComment: Aortic dissection and confusing nomenclature. Large SR. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009 Feb;8(2):276.
215. Mechanical mitral prosthesis with a short-term left ventricular assist device.
Mussa S, Large S, Tsui S, van Doorn C, Jenkins D. ASAIO J. 2008 Jul-Aug;54(4):439-41.
216. Does perioperative use of aprotinin reduce the rejection rate in heart transplant recipients? Shuhaiber JH, Goldsmith K, Large SR, Tsui S. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008 May;33(5):849-55. Epub 2008 Mar 24.
217. Surgery for acute heart failure syndromes. Large S. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2008 Jan;69(1):13-7.
218. The Papworth experience with the Levitronix CentriMag ventricular assist device. Shuhaiber JH, Jenkins D, Berman M, Parameshwar J, Dhital K, Tsui S, Large SR. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2008 Feb;27(2):158-64.
219. Invited commentary. Large S. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008 Jan;85(1):58-9.