The emphasis of the Thoracic Oncology service at Royal Papworth is on the investigation of suspected thoracic cancers, particularly lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma. We provide a rapid access service for the diagnosis and staging of these cancers, as well as surgery for lung cancer. We receive referrals from hospitals across the east of England and beyond.
We offer advanced diagnostic and therapeutic techniques to diagnose, stage and treat thoracic cancers.
- Endobronchial and endoscopic ultrasound
- Autoflourescence bronchoscopy
- Interventional bronchoscopic procedures including cryotherapy, diathermy and endobronchial stenting
- Medical thoracoscopy
- Indwelling pleural catheters
- CT guided lung biopsies
- Ultrasound guided biopsies
- Specialist lung cancer and mesothelioma multi-disciplinary meetings involving chest physicians, lung oncologists, thoracic surgeons, radiologists and pathologists, palliative care specialists and clinical nurse specialists
- Specialist mesothelioma services