Dr Allanah Barker completed her undergraduate training at the University of Dundee. She trained in surgery on the West of Scotland rotation and then as a higher surgical trainee in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Royal Papworth Hospital.
From 2011 Dr Barker trained in Radiology and completed the East of England Radiology rotation in Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and then at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.
She was a Fellow in Cardiothoracic Radiology at Royal Papworth Hospital and was appointed as a Consultant Radiologist in March 2019. As well as Cardiac CT she has a special interest in Thoracic imaging and intervention, in particular in oncology, and performs Endobronchial Ultrasound and Endoscopic Ultrasound for full staging of lung cancer.
- Imaging access pathways
- Lung imaging
- BMSc (hons), University of Dundee, 2001
- MBChB, Unversity of Dundee, 2003
- MRCS (Intercollegiate) Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow, 2005
- FRCR, Royal College of Radiologists, 2016
- Certificate of individual competency in endoscopy, JAG, 2017
- Member of the General Medical Council
- Member of the British Society of Thoracic Imaging
- Member of the British Society of Cardiovascular Imaging/Society of Cardiac Computed Tomography
- Member of British Thoracic Oncology Group
- Member of the Radiological society of North America
Barker AP, Babar, J. CT Phenotypes in COPD – implications for treatment. RAD magazine 44, 521, 12-14 2018.
Barker A, Qureshi N: Thoracic 18F-FDG PET CT. RAD Magazine 2015. 41, 482,13-16
Barker A, Malcolm P: Patient Management: MR Angiography- What is its role? Foundation Years Journal. Vol 7 (9) – Radiology Part 1 (2013 -10-01), page 66.
Bille A, Barker A, Maratos EC, Edmonds L, Lim E: Surgical access rather than method of pleurodesis (pleurectomy or pleural abrasion) influences recurrence rates for pneumothorax surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 Jun;60(6):321-5. Epub 2012 May 8.
Barker A, Jenkins DP: Intra-thoracic Organ Transplantation. Surgery, Elsevier Science, May 2011.
Barker AP, Nashef SAM. Coronary artery bypass grafting versus percutaneous intervention in heart failure. Scandinavian Journal of Surgery 96: 107-110. 2007.
Barker A, Maratos E, Edmonds L, Lim E; Recurrence Rates of video-assisted thoracoscopic versus open surgery in the prevention of recurrent pneumothoraces: a systematic review of randomised and non-randomised trials. Lancet 2007 Jul 28;370(9584):329-35.