Mr Ali qualified as a doctor at the University of Cambridge in 2008. During his medical training he has completed a PhD investigating the immune response to transplanted organs. He has undertaken his specialist cardiothoracic surgical training at Royal Papworth Hospital and was appointed to a Locum consultant post in 2022.
He has a significant interest in medical education and is the director of studies for clinical medicine for Churchill College, University of Cambridge, in addition to various teaching and examining roles for the Clinical School of Medicine.
He also has many research interests and has a large number of peer-reviewed publications. He is associate editor for the Best Evidence Topic Section for the journal: Interactive CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery, and is an editorial board member for the Journal of Thoracic Disease.
- Coronary artery surgery
- Aortic valve surgery
- Heart and Lung transplantation
- Mechanical circulatory support
- Improving outcomes following cardiac surgery and cardiothoracic transplantation
- Donor organ optimisation
- Associate Editor for the Best Evidence Topic Section of the journal: Interactive CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery (ICVTS)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) 2005 – University of Cambridge
- Master of Arts (MA) 2008 – University of Cambridge
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MB BChir) 2008 – University of Cambridge
- Masters in Medical Education (MA MedEd) 2014 – University of Bedfordshire
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) 2015 – University of Cambridge
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS CTh) 2021
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- General Medical Council
- Member of the Society for Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery of Great Britain and Ireland (SCTS)
- Member of the British Transplantation Society (BTS)
- Member of the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery (EACTS)
- Fellow and Lecturer in Medicine and Director of Studies for Clinical Medicine at Churchill College, University of Cambridge
Senage T, Gerrard C, Moorjani N, Jenkins DP, Ali JM. Early postoperative bleeding impacts long-term survival following first-time on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2021 Oct;13(10):5670-5682. doi: 10.21037/jtd-21-1241
Ali JM, Y Abu-Omar. Minimally invasive cardiac surgery – a Fad or the Future? Journal of Thoracic Disease 2021 Mar;13(3):1882-1885
Sumal AS*, Ali JM*, Kyriacou H, Tuttle C, Moorjani N. Aortic valve replacement in patients over 60: Real world surgical outcomes. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. 2021 Apr;36(4):1468-1476. doi: 10.1111/jocs.15353
Messer S, Cernic S, Page A, Berman M, Colah S, Ali JM, Pavlushkov E, Baxter J, Quigley R, Osman M, Nachum E, Parameshwar J, Abu-Omar Y, Dunning J, Goddard M, Bhaghra S, Cheshire C, Lewis C, Kydd A, Sudarshan C, Pettit S, Ali A, Jenkins D, Tsui S, Hall R, Catarino P, Large SR. 5-Year Single Centre Early Experience of Heart Transplantation From Donation After Circulatory Determined Death (DCD) Donors. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2020 Dec;39(12):1463-1475. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2020.10.001
Fazmin IT, Rafiq MU, Nashef S, Ali JM. Inferior outcomes following cardiac surgery in patients with a functioning renal allograft. Interactive CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery 2021 Jan 22;32(2):174-181. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivaa245
Karunanantham J*, Ali JM*, Evans NR, Webb S, Large SR. Impact of stroke on outcomes following cardiac surgery: Propensity matched analysis. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. 2020 Nov;35(11):3010-3016. doi: 10.1111/jocs.14964 [*Joint first authors]
Cardiothoracic Interdisciplinary Research Network, National Cardiac Benchmarking Collaborative, Public Health England. National Survey of Variations in Practice in the Prevention of Surgical Site Infections in Adult Cardiac Surgery, United Kingdom & Republic of Ireland. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2020 Dec;106(4):812-819. doi: 10.1016/j.jhin.2020.09.016
Ali JM, Gerrard C, Clayton J, Moorjani N. Haemostasis checklist reduces bleeding and blood product consumption following cardiac surgery. Annals of thoracic surgery. 2019 Apr 1;55(4):729-736. doi: 10.1093/ejcts/ezy362
Ali JM, Vuylsteke A. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation - indications, technique and contemporary outcomes. Heart 2019 Apr 30. pii: heartjnl-2017-311928. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2017-311928.
A full list of publications can be found on Google Scholar